Statement of Student Commitment to the Iraqi Student Project
Students accepted for undergraduate study in the United States under the sponsorship of the Iraqi Student Project sign this statement of commitment to indicate their acceptance of the goals, standards, and values upon which the ISP is founded.
I understand that I am coming to the United States to receive an undergraduate education that will enable me to return to Iraq—providing it is safe to do so when I complete my studies—and assist in the rebuilding of my beloved country. I therefore promise:
- to conduct myself in a way that brings honor to ISP, my family, and my country
- to fulfill my duties as a dedicated scholar by making my education my top priority
- to model serious scholarship by attending all class sessions without fail
- to maintain a GPA above the minimum required of me by the college/university
- to provide ISP a copy of my grade reports at the end of each term.
I understand that ISP has brought together a Support Group for me, people who have freely volunteered to support my academic success and general well-being while I am a student in the United States. I therefore promise:
- to establish and maintain a positive relationship with my Support Group
- to seek the help of my Support Group when I encounter problems or challenges with my education or general well-being
- to plan with my Support Group any travel during academic holidays and between academic sessions
I further understand that I will be in the United States in accordance with the terms of the I-20, a government form with which a college or university certifies to the US government (1) that I am eligible to receive an F-1 visa, (2) that I am going to be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student pursuing a degree, (3) that I have satisfied all admission requirements and been accepted by a college or university, and (4) that I have proven that I will have sufficient financial support to study and live in the United States. I therefore promise
- to abide by I-20 rules and the rules of the college that accepts me
- to remain in the United States until my undergraduate course of study is concluded— the only exception being travel outside the United States directly related to the pursuit of my undergraduate program of studies
- to refrain from participation in any illegal activity
- to refrain from marriage during the entire time of my visa
- to seek employment during the school year and/or in the summer, as allowed by the I-20 and with the assistance of my Support Group and appropriate college offices
Finally, I agree to assist ISP efforts for other Iraqi students and keep American citizens aware of the situation in Iraq by allowing ISP and my local Support Group to publish my story and photos (without my name, if I so request). To the same end, I will accept reasonable requests to give public presentations and interviews about Iraq or ISP.
I have read this document of commitment and I have had the opportunity to discuss it with ISP Staff. Thus, my signature below indicates that I understand my rights and responsibilities and will honor them.
It is my clear understanding that failure to honor this commitment or any part of it will be considered grounds for termination of my association with the Iraqi Student Project.
ISP Staff Member
[Optional:] Parent(s) or guardian(s)
We have read this document. We understand it and support our son/daughter/ward in signing it.